The Raw Art Review
The Raw Art Review (RAR) is offering a contest for the book publication of a manuscript of up to 150 pages of poems by its parent company Uncollected Press (UCP). UCP/RAR will be conducting 4 quarterly contests to select books for publication in 2020. Please go to this URL to see samples the books we have published:
Winning manuscripts will be accepted for publication by Uncollected Press.
- A minimum of three (3) manuscripts will be accepted for publication in the first quarter of Calendar year 2020 and all costs of production will be handled by Uncollected Press. Manuscripts may also be resubmitted by Editorial Staff to subsequent quarterly contests.
- Selection of winning manuscripts is "rolling". Announcement does not wait for the end of the quarter or the end of the contest. We will select winners on an ongoing basis. If we like a manuscript as a winner, we will selected it and get started with production.
- A selection of works from the winning manuscripts will be presented on a RAR dedicated "Featured Artist" web page navigable from the RAR website home page.
- There are no rules of form and content. The sole criteria for selecting manuscripts is the power of the emotional/psychological/spiritual/physiological impact on editors reading the poems. NOTE: We will attempt to adjust production to artistic elements of the poetry within limits. Submitters should expect to adapt work to a standard book format of 6" x 9".
- There are no particular trade-craft requirements. Single or double space, left-center-right justification, long lines/short lines, standard use of punctuation or not, etc.
- TYPOS - we understand it is difficult to catch all typos. NOTE: we will presume a typo is volitional, so for the purpose of maintaining your intent for the poem it is in your best interest to review carefully, get help from other readers, etc. As part of production, intensive engagement with the poet will address whether the use of language is intentional or a typo.
- Acceptable formats for a manuscript are Word or a compatible Word Processor - we need to be able to do extensive production work.
- Front and Back Cover Art work can be provided by the poet or by UCP/RAR. Front Cover, Back Cover and Spine design will be handled by UCP/RAR during production.
- Uncollected Press will enter into partnership with winners that will include collaboration on production and distribution of the book of poems.
- Review of poems is blind. Please do not put your name or any other identifying information on your pages.
- Simultaneous submission is fine.
- Previously published poems are eligible provided the submitter owns the rights to re-publish. We are happy to recognize the original publisher on the front-matter page or at other summary locations in the book.
- Deadline is March 31, 2020.
- Submissions are read and considered in the order that they are received. Expedited Submissions are moved to the top of the list and are considered immediately with a 2 week response time.
- You must use Submittable for submissions.